With the increasing popularity of the Ragdoll breed over the past few years, more and more people are becoming back-yard-breeders or "byb's". These "breeders" do not have the best interest of the breed in mind, are not reputable and are typically trying to "make a quick buck". Characteristics of back-yard breeders are:
* Pricing kittens very low
* Failing to health screen breeding adults for genetic predispositions found in the Ragdoll breed.
*Allow kittens to go to their new home at a very early age (usually around 8-10 weeks)
* Not registered with a legitimate organization (TICA, CFA, Fife, etc)
* Over-breeding females to produce many kittens in a short period of time
* Not providing proper vet care for kittens (vaccinations, deworming, spay/neuter)
*Caging or confining their cats/kittens to small spaces
*Selling sick kittens or kittens with fleas and parasites
While the low price tag for a kitten may seem enticing, you truly are "getting what you pay for" if you purchase from a back-yard-breeder.
When purchasing a kitten from a breeder, be sure to ask these questions:
1. What credible organization are you registered with?
2. Can I see your registration credentials?
3. What health testing do you do on your breeding cats?
4. Can I see the results of the health assessments completed on your cats?
5. Can you provide veterinarian references?
6. Can you provide previous customer references?
7. What are your cats/kittens living conditions?
8. What health guarantees do you offer in your contract?
9. What veterinary care do kittens receive before going to their new homes?
10. At what age do you allow kittens to leave your cattery?
If a breeder cannot answer these questions or refuses to provide information, then it is very likely they do not have good breeding practices. A reputable breeder will be able to and will be willing to provide answers to all of the questions above.
Purchasing a kitten from a reputable breeder is important! You will have peace of mind knowing that your kitten is healthy and will have the best start in life.